1700 Period History Detail1800 History Detail1850 - 1900 History Detail1919 - 1930 History Detail1950 - Present History Detail2018 Candidate Financial Statements2018 Election Calendar2018 Election CandidatesAdministrationAerospace Specific GrantsAmy Croft Secondary PlanAtlas Tube Centre - Multi-Use Recreation FacilityBuilding Permit Fees / Permit Review TimelinesBuildings & PermitsBylaw Enforcement ServicesCandidate InformationCarbon Monoxide - The Silent KillerCertified Investment Ready SiteCommittee of AdjustmentCommunity and Development ServicesCommunity Improvement PlanConservation AuthoritiesCounty Road 22 Corridor StudyCurrent Water and Wastewater ProjectsDevelopment Application FormsDrinking Water Quality Management SystemElection 2014Election 2014 SubElection Ward Boundary MapsEmergency Preparedness Plan Energy Conservation GrantsEngineering and Infrastructure ServicesEntrance Permits, County Approval & OtherFees and Development ChargesFinance Department General InformationFinance ServicesFinancial DocumentsFire PreventionFire Prevention on the FarmFire Safety PlansFlooding & SubsidiesGeneral Manufacturing GrantsLakeshore InformationLakeshore OPP Contact InformationLakeshore OPP NewsLakeshore Water Treatment PlantLakeshore's LocationLakeshore's Open for BusinessLakeshore's PeopleLakeshore's TransportationLakeshore's UtilitiesLegislative & Legal ServicesOfficial PlanOfficial Plan ReviewOpen BurningPermit Application FormsPlanningPlanning ApplicationsPolice ComplaintsPolice LinksPrivate HydrantsRequired InspectionsServices and Fee SchedulesSmall Business GrantsSmoke AlarmsSuperior Tanker Shuttle ServiceTaxesTelecommunication TowersVoter InformationWastewater Service AreasWater & Wastewater Flooding oldWater and Sewer BillingWater Kids ZoneWater Legislation & RegulationWater ProgramsWater Reports & PlansWater Service AreasWater Wastewater Bylaws and FormsWindsor Essex Economic Development CorporationYouth / Apprenticeship GrantsZoning Bylaw

Buildings & Permits

The Building Department can be contacted at:
(519) 728-2818
Ext. 238
(519) 728-4577

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.

The Building Department assists developers, contractors, and the general public interested in obtaining a building permit. Prior to granting approval, the inspector reviews plans submitted for Ontario Building Code and Municipal Zoning compliance's.

It is recommended that applicants first investigate what will be required by them in order to obtain a building permit. Most permits require building plans and a site plan; however, some may also require a copy of your deed, proof of entrance approval, conservation authority approval, septic or water and sewer approval and/or payment of development fees.

If you have questions about starting a home business, please contact the Building/Bylaw Department at the number above. There is currently no business licensing required through the Town of Lakeshore.

Permit Information

Link to Ontario Building Code

Green Building - Information relating to permits and regulations when building green.

Letter of Commitment by Architect or Engineer

Permit application forms can be picked up at the office or click on the link below for application information.

Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish
Swimming Pool
Swimming Pool Permit Application
Fence Permit Application
Fill Permit Application
House Addition Permit Application
House Renovation
Authorization Letter - Tenant or Contractor

SB-12 News Update December, 2016:  All residential building permit applications submitted after December 31, 2016 need to follow the new energy guidelines identified in Chapter 3 of Supplimentary Standard SB-12 "Energy Efficiency for Housing" as amended on July 7, 2016.  Ministry of Housing documentation on SB-12

Processing of Building permits varies depending on the project type. The Ontario Building Code stipulates timelines for permit issuance. The list provided below is only a guideline for Residential projects (Note: The times indicated do not include the day that the permit was dropped off, day 1 starts the next business day). Also note that the processing timelines commence after all the required information is received in our office to issue the permit.

Single Family Dwelling (SFD) 10 Business days
House addition/ renovation 10 Business days
Pools/ Decks/ Fences 10 Business days
Shed/ Garage/ Pole Barn 10 Business days
Commercial, Industrial, Institutional Please call our office for timeframe's
Other Please call our office for timeframe's

Energy Efficiency Design Summary

Permit fees vary based on the type of project and location within the municipality. All fees are payable upon issuance of permit. The Tariff Fee Bylaw will indicate the permit fees applicable. Call our office for more details.

Several inspections are carried out during and upon completion of construction. See our Schedule of Inspections for required inspections.  As of 2011, backwater valves with Ontario Building Code approval are now mandatory for new home construction.  It is the responsibility of the applicant/builder to call and book appointments for the required inspections. 

Demolition Application form - any building that is being demolished requires a permit (i.e. house, shed, garage, pole barn, etc.). Please contact the Building Department for information on fees.

Attached is a list of deposits required for small permits issued through the Building Department. The deposits are due at the time the application form is dropped off at the office.

2017 ERCA Approved Fee Schedule

Development Charges By-Law 46-2015
Schedule to By-Law 46-2015 - Development Charges 2019

2019 Water and Wastewater Buy-in fees - January 1st, 2019

2017 Shoreline Landowner Display


Public Works Entrance Permits

Properties that do not currently have access from the road to enter the property require an entrance permit. If the property is on a Municipal road, applicants are asked to contact the Town's Engineering and Infrastructure Services department at 519-728-2488
to make arrangements.

If the property is located on a County Road, please contact the County of Essex at 519-776-6441
for application requirements.

Note: If this is for a Single Family Dwelling or an addition that will be situated closer to the front property line than the existing building, a setback approval may also be required through the County of Essex.

Private Sewage Systems Permits

The Town of Lakeshore Development Services Building Division issues all Sewage System Permits within the Town of Lakeshore.

Applications for sewage system permits can be obtained through the Building Division or download the Sewage System Permit application.

Your Septic System - Protecting the Environment and Your Investment Brochure

Information regarding the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association (OOWA) can be found here.

Note: Between April 1998 and December 2007 all Sewage System permits were issued through the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit. Any inquiries on systems on permits issued during that time please contact the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit at 519-258-2146

Final Septic Test Report

By-Law Commpliance Services

The By-law division staff are responsible for the administration and compliance of some of the Town's by-laws.

Visit our Public Bylaw page to see the most frequently requested bylaws, including Sign, Fence, Animal Control, Noise and Property Standards as well as others.  Once on the page, select the Common Bylaws Referenced by the Public folder and it will open all of the bylaws.  Call our office if you have further questions.

Are you Planning a Home Project?

Are you planning a home project but are unsure if you need to obtain a building permit? The following is a list of home projects that require permits:

  1. Additions
  2. Renovations / Alterations
  3. Finished basements / basement apartments
  4. Garages (attached and detached), carports
  5. Garden sheds (accessory buildings)
  6. Decks/ porches
  7. Swimming pools / fences
  8. Fireplaces, wood stoves, chimneys

Furthermore, if your home project includes adding a washroom or altering existing plumbing, you will require a Plumbing Permit and, if you currently have an on-site private sewage disposal system you may be required to obtain a Septic Permit or have your existing system evaluated.

Please remember that obtaining a building permit will ensure that you are creating a Safe and Health Environment.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact our friendly staff at 519-728-2818
. You may also come in and visit us on the lower level of the Town Hall.

When is a Permit Required?

There are a variety of projects that require a permit. Some of the projects are listed below:

  • New and replacement waterlines
  • Construct a new building
  • Any addition to an existing building
  • Structural alterations
  • renovate, repair or add to a building
  • Change a building's use
  • Install, change, or remove partitions and load bearing walls
  • Make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
  • Build a garage, balcony or deck
  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • Install or modify plumbing systems
  • Install or reconstruct chimneys or fireplaces
  • An accessory structure larger than 108 sq. feet in area
  • A deck more than 24" above ground
  • A wood burning stove / fireplace installation
  • A basement entrance
  • Finishing an existing unfinished basement

The above is a basic list. Please call our office and inquire before you start construction of any type.

In many cases your designer or contractor will get permits on your behalf. Remember, as the building owner, you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements. Failure to obtain Building permits can result in costly construction delays or legal action.

When is a Permit Not Required?

You do not require a Building Permit for the following:

  • Replace existing doors and windows (same-size), subject to distance from property lines
  • Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • Build a roofless deck under 0.61 meters (2 feet) that is not attached to a building
  • Build a utility shed under 100 sq. feet
  • Re-shingle a roof
  • Dry-wall or plaster
  • Paint or decorate
  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboard

For electrical and Union Gas related projects, please contact your utility provider for permitting requirements.

In many cases, your designer or contractor will get permits on your behalf. Remember, as the building owner, you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements. Failure to obtain Building Permits can result in costly construction delays and/or legal action.

Date edited: 02/28/2019