Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer


A tasteless, colourless and odourless poisonous gas often referred to as the silent killer.

It is produced when fuels such as natural gas, oil, wood, propane and kerosene don't get enough air to burn up completely. Damaged or blocked exhaust venting as well as inadequate air flow can allow carbon monoxide to build up inside a home, a cottage, camper or tent.

Ensure that your CO detector is less than 5 years old, located in an area that will allow air flow around the unit and always follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and use.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in North America. Exposure to high concentrations can cause death in just a few minutes.

Symptoms
Low Concentrations,  shortage of breath on moderate exertion; slight headache; nausea; dizziness.

  • Higher Concentrations,  severe headache; mental confusion, dizziness, impairment of vision and hearing; collapse or fainting on exertion.
  • Extreme Concentrations, unconsciousness; coma; death.


Carbon Monoxide Alarm Information

Appliances that Generate Carbon Monoxide (CO)

For additional information on Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Monoxide detectors please follow the links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-pqM94yFE 
Ontario's New CO Alarm Law - A Call to Action for Homeowners
 
http://www.oafc.on.ca/carbon-monoxide 
Ontario Association of Fire Chief's  Carbon Monoxide Safety

TSSA Carbon Monoxide Safety

If you suspect a Carbon Monoxide leak in your home, contact a local certified Heating and Cooling contractor to inspect your equipment.


 


Date edited: 02/14/2017
http://lakeshore.ca/