- Discover Lakeshore
- Build Lakeshore
- Live Lakeshore
- Leadership Lakeshore
Lakeshore Water Treatment Plant
The Lakeshore Water Treatment Plant (previously known as the Belle River WTP) was originally constructed in 1926. In 1945, the original plant underwent extensive upgrades including addition of gravity filers. In 1974, a major renovation was undertaken and further process improvements were made. In January 2002, a Class Environmental Assessment was completed to evaluate long term water supply requirements for the area services by the Lakeshore WTP. Construction on the new plant commenced in May 2006 and was placed into service in January 2009. The original water plant was subsequently decommissioned and demolished. A parkette now stands in its place. The 36.4 ML/d Lakeshore WTP is expected to provide over 20 years of service before the next expansion is required.
Raw water is drawn from a 1200 mm diameter intake pipe which extends 1,050 m into Lake St. Clair. Typical raw were quality is generally good and ranges within 20 to 50 NTU. Seasonal variations can elevate turbidity over 500 NTU for extended periods. The raw water is chlorinated at the mouth of the intake to control zebra mussel accumulation. The intake structure is also equipped with frazil ice control facilities. The low lift pumping station screens the incoming raw water and conveys it to the treatment plant.
The Lakeshore WTP utilized a Conventional Treatment process. Alum is added to the raw water and rapid mixed prior to entering four up-flow solids contact clarifiers equipped with tube settlers. The coagulation, flocculation and sedimentation process clarifies the water. Four dual media filters (granular activated carbon and sand) treat the settled water. The filters operate at a constant rate and are periodically cleaned with air scour followed by back washing.
Primary disinfection is achieved using Ultraviolet (UV) reactors. Gas chlorination is utilized for secondary disinfection to maintain chlorine residual. Disinfected water is conveyed by gravity to a 10 million litre in-ground reservoir.
Residual solids which settle in the clarifiers are discharged to the sanitary sewer system and conveyed to the Town wastewater plant for further treatment. Backwash water is treated on-site using the dissolved air flotation process which separates solids and discharges effluent to a nearby drain.
The high lift pumping station is equipped with three vertical turbine pumps with provision for a fourth pump. The pumps draw water from the in-ground water storage reservoir and supply the water distribution system which currently services 20,000 people.