Contact the Building & Bylaw Department at 519-728-2818

Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The Building Department assists developers, contractors, and the general public interested in obtaining a building permit. Prior to granting approval, the plans examiner reviews plans submitted for Ontario Building Code & Municipal Zoning compliances.

It is recommended that applicants first investigate what will be required by them in order to obtain a building permit. Most permits require building plans and a site plan; however, some may also require a copy of your deed, proof of entrance approval, conservation authority approval, septic or water and sewer approval and/or payment of development fees.


When is a Permit Required?

There are a variety of projects that require a permit.  Some of the projects are listed below:
  • New and replacement waterlines
  • Construct a new building
  • Any addition to an existing building
  • Structural alterations
  • Renovate, repair or add to a building
  • Change a building’s use
  • Install, change, or remove partitions and load bearing walls
  • Make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
  • Build a garage, balcony or deck
  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • Install or modify plumbing systems
  • Install or reconstruct chimneys or fireplaces
  • An accessory structure large than 108 sq. ft. in area
  • A deck more than 24” above ground
  • A wood burning stove/fireplace installation
  • A basement entrance
  • Finishing an existing unfinished basement
  • Installing a swimming pool (in-ground or above ground)
  • Installing a Fence
The above is a basic list.  If you are unsure if you would be required to obtain a building permit, call our office and inquire before you start construction. 


When is a Permit Not Required?

You do not require a Building Permit for the following:
  • Replace existing doors and windows (same-size), subject to distance from property lines
  • Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • Build a utility shed under 100 sq. ft.
  • Re-shingle a roof
  • Dry-wall or plaster
  • Paint or decorate
  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards
For electrical and Union Gas related projects, please contact your utility provider for permitting requirements.
In many cases, your designer or contractor will get permits on your behalf.  Remember, as the building owner, you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements.  Failure to obtain Building Permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action
Date edited: 10/25/2018