October 06, 2017Flood Defense Strategy Action Plan
In response to the flooding events over the recent past, the Town of Lakeshore has initiated measures to immediately assist and support residents and property owners while also working towards initiatives to minimize the impact to the community from changing climate patterns:
- A second round of the Sanitary Backwater Valve Installation program has been authorized and applications are now being accepted by the Town.
- Council has waived the private drain connection camera inspection fee until December 31, 2017 which will include residents currently on the list for inspection.
- A comprehensive public information session is being coordinated in November 2017 to provide property owners with further insight into basement flood prevention mitigation measures as well as additional information on on-going Town initiatives
- Additional funding is to be allocated in the 2018 Budget for an enhanced Inflow and Infiltration (I & I) program to explore everything possible to minimize the extraneous flow of rain water into Town sanitary systems.
- Council has requested a complete review of the Town’s storm water standards to explore opportunities for improvement or enhancement and include funding in the 2018 Budget to undertake a comprehensive Storm Water Master Plan that will review the possibility of enhancing the existing storm sewer systems and storm water management ponds to accommodate the increased storm waters.
- An analysis is being undertaken of the identified flood areas impacted by the recent flood events with the goal to bring forward specific recommendations to expedite the implementation of measures to improve the existing storm water management and report on the processes involved.
- The Town is investigating the implementation of a mass emergency notification system.
- Council has requested the creation of a Flood Task Force committee.
- The Town is reviewing the possibility of implementing a downspout disconnection and sump pump replacement subsidy program.
Please contact the Engineering & Infrastructure Services department with any questions at 519-728-2488.
Follow Lakeshore on Facebook, Twitter and at www.lakeshore.ca to keep updated on Town related news and information.